Sunday, October 18, 2009

That's Cosmetic!

There must be a school somewhere that teaches real estate agents to respond to every defect I find, with the comment "that's cosmetic". One of the definitions of cosmetic is: " done or made for the sake of appearance". Stress cracks in the ceilings of multiple rooms, that are aligned, are not cosmetic. Woodpecker holes in wood shingle siding that is rotted are not cosmetic. Missing mortar and cracks with holes in a rubble foundation are not cosmetic. Yet in all these cases and more I get the same comment, almost as a reflex. Mind you it is not posed as a question, but as a statement of fact.
As a licensed Home Inspector cosmetic items are not really what I'm looking for. Scratched paint, peeling paint, floors that need new shellac, faded wall paper and dirty carpets are cosmetic. They are not critical systems, not structural, and not safety items. In the scheme of things cosmetic items have a lower cost and are arbitrary and for appearance.
I'd like to think the overuse of the phrase is a lack of knowledge as to what a defect of substance is and what a minor item or possibly cosmetic is.
I have offered to many agents to present to them what we are looking for and in short educate them a little more. I have had a few takers on my offer, but most never call. I wonder why?
Bottom line, as a buyer, is to be wary of anyone who labels items you are concerned about as “cosmetic”. Only a Home inspector should make that determination. For the record, I never comment on the price of a house, the neighborhood, or whether it’s a good or bad buy. It's not my purview. So consider the source and qualifications of comments on the property you are buying, and remember the Home Inspector works for you, and is paid by you, not the seller!

No comments:

Post a Comment