Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Missing Leg?

I was doing an inspection a while back and finished the outside first and entered the garage. Checked the automatic closers and electric eyes, no problems. I started to probe the sill(wooden) around the garage and found no soft spots, and no indication of bugs that I could see. I started to check out the roof rafters and joists above and my eyes followed down to the platform entrance to the home. Something looked odd when I studied the steps and platform. I noticed the home owner had placed his winter tires under the platform and then it hit me.
What was holding the platform up? Certainly not the tires!
Someone had neatly sawed off the corner support, of which there were two, as the platform was screwed to the rim board against the sill. The reason was obvious, to get the tires under the steps. Still not sure what was holding it up, perhaps a lick and a prayer! One post and the side against the house was not enough.
Moral of the story is keep on looking when something doesn't look right. I have followed that rule and always end up finding the problem, and sometimes the cause.
Homeowner insisted it was done by an unknown person...

No comments:

Post a Comment